Following on from my earlier update, here is how I built the bike. First of all, I took apart the headset (I've explained in previous posts about the quill-Ahead stem adapter, and funny French sizes):
Hope you enjoyed this build - click on single speed conversion project on the right for all the posts on it. It's very satisfying to get an old frame running again. It feels light and comfy and has cheered up my commute a great deal. So far I've got up to about 44km/h on it and at that speed it seemed sure footed enough, although not rock solid like a modern bike. I've surprised myself at the versatility of the 65 inch gear is - I've ground up some decent grades with it now. But most of all, I'm impressed by how efficient and quiet it is to pedal. So silent, that on one ride I was bothered by the noise of a crease in my jersey fluttering in the wind! Never thought that would ever happen!
bottom brackets (4) brakes (1) chains (8) Chuck's Tech Opinion (9) clothing (3) cyclocross (23) electronic shifting (1) folding bikes (10) food and drink (1) frames (21) headsets (6) hybrid (4) kids (1) mudguards (1) pedals (2) racing (21) raleigh twenty project (14) road bikes (19) saddles (2) shimergo (3) single speed conversion project (8) transmission (1) wheels (15)