Wednesday 31 March 2021

Raleigh Twenty: To powder coat or not?

When I got this bike, it was dirty and grimy looking. My first thought was to strip the paint and get it powder coated. However, after working on it for a while, I realised that the parts with the worst paintwork (chips and rust) were the mudguards (fenders) and the chain guard. These have been removed and sent off to my local powder coaters for prepping and application of a contrasting colour. In the meantime, I washed the frame, applied T Cut to the paintwork, and have been working on polishing up and servicing the components (see last few blog posts on the chainset, bottom bracket and wheels). Today, for the first time, I whacked a bit of regular car polish on the underside of the frame and hey presto:


Not bad for paint that is 33y old, I think you'd agree! It vindicates my decision to not strip this frame. 


Now I'm keen to polish the rest of it, but there's a lot to do before that, such as removing rust from the brake calipers and levers, figuring out what I want for pedals and hand grips. In the photo, you can just see the 1970's cream plastic hand grip. Compared to modern bar grips, these are ugly, uncomfortable and undersized!  


No comments:

Post a Comment